Rhinophyma is a bulbous swelling, particularly of the nasal tip. Caused by overabundant oil glands in the nasal skin. It is closely associated with rosacea, a chronic inflammatory disorder, in which the skin becomes red and scaly. Rhinophyma occurs in men and women, but is predominantly found in men.
Those who suffer with rosacea and rhinophyma are sensitive to temperature, hot liquids, alcohol, spicy foods and sunlight, but these are not the cause of rosacea and/or rhinophyma. Today’s treatments effectively restore the nose to a healthy size, shape and more pleasing appearance.
• Treatments are safe, effective & more advanced
• A combination of treatments is often used to get desired results
• Skin resurfacing (dermabrasion), laser and/or scalpel may be used
• Men & women of all ages get pleasing results from treatments
• Local anesthesia with sedation is generally used
• Treatment procedures takes about 1-2 hours to perform in office or a local surgery center
• Dr. Bloom is well skilled & experienced in treating rhinophyma
Anyone suffering with rhinophyma who has a strong desire to correct it and restore their nose to a normal condition is a good candidate for Dr. Bloom’s procedures. You should be in otherwise good health and have realistic expectations for improving the appearance of a swollen, bulbous nose.
There are several treatments used to treat this condition. They include:
1. Laser removal with a CO2 or Erbium laser
2. Skin resurfacing using dermabrasion
3. Simple knife excision
4. Combinations of the above techniques
5. Before treatment is started, you are made comfortable with local anesthetic and sedation
After your particular treatment you should expect the following:
1. Swelling, numbness, paleness and discomfort
2. Depending upon the procedure used, you may experience some bleeding
3. Expect to be covered with a protective, padded dressing
4. You will need to sleep with your head elevated at a 45% angle to reduce swelling
5. The wound will probably ooze for a couple of days
6. You will need to take antibiotics to prevent infection and oral pain meds for discomfort – this all resolves over a few days
7. Recovery typically takes from10 to 14 days, but deep healing takes time and your final results may not be truly visible for a few weeks.
Dr. Bloom has comprehensive experience in face lifting, rhinoplasty, ear surgery, eyelid rejuvenation, brow and forehead aesthetic surgery as well as extensive training in non-surgical treatments including Botox, injectable fillers, and laser therapies.
Rhinophyma is a dramatic overgrowth of the sebaceous glands of the nose that often causes severe disfigurement of the nasal tip. Today’s treatments effectively restore the nose to its normal size, shape and a healthy condition.
It is a condition of the nose in which the nasal tip swells and becomes bulbous in appearance. The cause is not entirely clear, but it has been clearly associated with rosacea and overabundant oil glands of the nasal skin. New studies show it is not attributed to excessive alcohol intake.
During your personal consultation, Dr. Bloom will perform a complete facial analysis and then be able to determine the best treatment approach for your specific needs.
No, not necessarily. People who progress to the 3rd level of rosacea are at high risk for developing rhinophyma, but when rosacea is effectively treated, there is no need for worry.
This depends upon the procedure chosen, but typically about 1-2 hours.
Combined resurfacing techniques typically involve 10 to 14 days for recovery. Some swelling and redness is normal during this time and ointment must be worn continuously during recovery.
Maybe. You need to check with your provider for that answer. If they don’t, we offer financing and have information about it in our business office.