Between the ages of three to four, children with prominent ears begin to realize the difference between their ears and those of other children the same age. This has proven to be emotionally damaging as caustic peer remarks are often made. Adults of any age, who have lived with protruding ears all their lives, commonly suffer from low self-esteem and are typically very sensitive about their appearance. Prominauris (protruding ears) is common in about 5% of Caucasian children.
Otoplasty surgery is performed to correct abnormally protruding ears by reshaping and repositioning them closer to the head. Ideally, natural looking ears are positioned close to the side of the head.
• Otoplasty cosmetic surgery corrects unnaturally protruding ears
• Ear reshaping & repositioning is done in combination with otoplasty
• Otoplasty repositions ears close to the side of the head
• It is a safe, simple & commonly performed surgery
• Otoplasty involves a very short recovery & brief downtime
• Is commonly used to correct trauma & injury abnormalities
• Reshapes not only abnormal looking ears…but the patient’s self-esteem, also
Dr. Bloom performs otoplasty surgery on adults of all ages and all stages in life and children ages 5 and over, commonly. Adults should be in good health and have realistic expectations. For children, otoplasty is best done when the child’s ears have reached at least 85% of their adult ear size.
Anesthesia for adults is usually local combined with sedation. For children, general anesthesia may be the best unless they are older. Incisions are made behind the ear, so they are well hidden. Through these hidden incisions, Dr. Bloom works to remove enough excess soft tissue and cartilage to allow for repositioning of the ear. Additionally, sutures are used to fold and remodel the ear cartilage for a more natural shape. Sutures are used to close the incisions and then the head is wrapped in a dressing. This is generally worn for about 1 week to help with swelling, bruising and to protect the surgical area.
When you wake up you should expect the following and should follow these instructions after going home:
1. Expect some swelling, numbness and paleness
2. Discomfort is normal but is easily managed with cool compresses and oral pain medication
3. Incision sites may be irritated for a couple of days
4. You will need to rest with your head elevated for several nights until told otherwise
5. Physical activity will be limited until you are well healed
6. Visible healing takes place over a few days while deep healing may take several weeks. Give it some time before expecting to see the real final results.
Dr. Jason D. Bloom is an award winning, Ivy-League trained facial plastic & reconstructive surgeon. Dr. Bloom has worked at some of the most elite and renowned institutions in the country. His extensive experience and reputable training provide the foundation for his excellent technical skills and surgical aesthetic. He is dedicated to the treatment of patients with both cosmetic concerns and reconstructive problems of the head and neck.
Ears that are too prominent (“Dumbo ears”) do not look natural & can be the cause of damaging peer remarks…at any age.
The time varies among patients, but typically ear reshaping surgery takes from 2-3 hours.
All incisions create scars, but Dr. Bloom’s advanced techniques and newer technology involves smaller incisions, less swelling and bruising and scarring that fades away over time. Also, he hides the incisions inconspicuously behind the ears.
There is some discomfort involved, but rarely do Dr. Bloom’s patients complain of severe pain. You can expect some throbbing that does not last long. The newer techniques and smaller instruments are much less invasive than older types.
Dr. Bloom’s patients are able to be up and about a few hours after surgery. Most adults return to work within 7-10 days and children to school within 1 week.
Maybe. This is a cosmetic surgery typically not covered by health insurance. Please check with your provider for correct information about your coverage. We offer financing that will pay for it. Ask about it in our business office.