Dr. Bloom Talks Facelifts
Today’s many facelift options appeal to both men and women, of various ages and stages, while all can be tailored to individual needs. Patients are also realizing that, like Hollywood celebrities, if they do a little cosmetic surgery in their 40’s, it can save them from more drastic overhauls in their 50’s and 60’s. Doing little procedures early on, and maintaining them, keeps people looking at least 10 years younger…always.
Dr. Bloom understands the various stages and types of facial aging, the complex facial anatomy and the procedures needed to turn back the clock in order to restore youthfulness to the entire face. There are many types of facelift surgeries and each one is used to achieve individualized goals because, simply stated…one facelift does not fit all needs.
• A great facelift effectively addresses aging in the lower 2/3s of the face
• Facelift removes sagging excess skin, it lifts & tightens muscles
• Refined techniques achieve a more natural looking, youthful appearance
• A great facelift results in the patient looking rested, and healthy…not a “done” look
• It is often combined with other age erasing procedures to achieve optimal results
• Dr. Bloom is specialized in today’s advanced, age defying facial procedures
A facelift is performed to address facial laxity in the lower two-thirds of the face including sagging skin, excess fat, tightening of lax muscles, correcting jowls and restoring cheeks that have descended and become hollow or deflated. Good candidates are men and women of various ages with a strong desire to rejuvenate their aging face and restore a more youthful appearance. All candidates should be in otherwise good health and must have mature, realistic expectations. Sometimes a combination of procedures, such as a facelift and necklift, is needed in order to get the desired results.
Today’s “skin lifts” get all the attention, but the changes are short lived & clearly obvious. Dr. Bloom’s techniques take 10 years off the face & leaves you looking naturally younger…longer!
Dr. Bloom will discuss anesthesia during your consultation, but local anesthesia and sedation can be used or general anesthesia may be used. He uses the most refined techniques so that tiny incisions are well hidden behind the ears and in natural facial skin creases. He then works through these incisions to lift and relocate the deep tissues and to then re-drape the skin over repositioned tissues to achieve a tension-free, natural look. Incisions heal quite inconspicuously and fade to thin tread like lines over time. Often, fat transfer and/or injectable fillers are used in combination to get the desired facial contour.
When you wake up you should expect the following and also follow these instructions:
1. Your face will be swollen, pale and numb
2. Patients complain of “discomfort” rather than pain
3. Incision sites may be irritated and swollen for a couple of days
4. You may see small drain tubes in some of them to deal with excess fluid
5. Your head may be wrapped in a bandage…this should be left on until Dr. Bloom takes it off
6. If a special compression garment is used…wear it as instructed…it helps to control swelling and support while healing starts to take place
7. You will need to keep your head elevated for several days
8. Dr. Bloom may recommend soft, cool compresses
9. Oral medication will easily deal with any discomfort you may experience
10. Plan on a soft diet for 2-3 days…your face will feel tight and opening your mouth may be uncomfortable
11. As healing takes place…all discomfort and signs of surgery go away…usually over a few days time.
In addition to completing numerous research projects, book chapters, journal articles, lectures and presentations in the area of facial plastic & reconstructive surgery, Dr. Bloom continued to be formally recognized for his achievements and received the prestigious Dr. Paul Carniol Prize for Excellence in Facial Plastic Surgery Research, an American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery CORE Research Grant and an AAO-HNS/F Resident Leadership Grant.
A great facelift is very detailed surgery and is done by a surgeon who can both visualize & create youthful beauty without the windswept – tunnel look of the past.
This will be thoroughly discussed during your consultation to ensure you are comfortable with your options and make a good decision. Local anesthesia and sedation are often used and general anesthesia is also an option. The right choice depends upon the type of facelift surgery you are having.
There are many facelift options available today. Many lift only the superficial tissues and offer short term results while others are more extensive, take up to 10 years off the face and last for years…these take longer. Dr. Bloom will be able to give you a time frame when your treatment plan has been designed and he knows exactly what’s involved.
All incisions involve scars. However, Dr. Bloom uses more refined techniques that allow him to plan and inconspicuously hide the incisions while they fade over time. Dr. Bloom takes the time to ask the patient about hairstyle preferences and concerns to help him plan a more appropriate operation.
There will be some discomfort, but Dr. Bloom’s patients rarely complain of pain. You will experience swelling and tightness that is uncomfortable but this goes away on its own over a few days. Some numbness may linger for several weeks, but it too resolves itself.
Visible results vary with each patient based upon the extensiveness and type of procedure. Healing continues under the surface for quite some time. As swelling and bruising resolves, results can be seen and within a few weeks you will be looking like yourself…albeit a younger version.
NO. Insurance does not cover cosmetic procedures. We do have financing today that covers cosmetic procedures and can be set up on a payment plan. Ask about it in our Business Office.