Chubby cheeks work for some people, but for many others this is bothersome. Many of these people are getting their faces sculpted by having a cheek reduction, also called buccal fat excision. This is a surgical procedure that involves removing the excess buccal fat located in a specific cheek area. Slimmer cheeks, a more contoured face and a sculpted look that reveals the natural cheekbones are the results!
• Buccal fat excision removes excess, chubby cheek fat
• Results in thinner, more defined cheeks…an enhanced appearance
• Typically improves self confidence & self esteem
• Involves short surgery, little bruising & brief downtime
• No facial scarring or external incisions on the face
• Achieves a more sculpted, balanced facial appearance
If you are unhappy with excessively full cheeks, and you have a strong desire to reshape, sculpt and slim down your face, cheek reduction surgery may be right for you. Dr. Bloom will determine this during your personal consultation when he will review your options with you, and design your individualized treatment plan. You should be in good health, over the age of 18 (to assure facial development is complete), and have realistic expectations.
After you are anesthetized and comfortable, Dr. Bloom makes an incision inside the mouth, between the cheek and gums, and works through this opening to remove the unwanted fat and to sculpt the cheek area. Dissolvable sutures close the incisions.
You can expect the following when you wake up and you should follow the instructions given when you return home:
1. Some swelling, bruising, numbness and discomfort is normal and to be expected.
2. Cool compresses and oral pain medication will easily manage your discomfort.
3. All swelling resolves on its own in a few weeks as healing progresses.
4. You will need to rest at night with your head elevated for a few weeks.
5. Plan on a restricted diet as follows: Avoid all uncooked foods (risk of bacteria) and be sure to thoroughly wash all raw fruits and vegetables. You will want liquid to soft foods for a few days.
6. You will be given a special anti-bacterial mouthwash to be used throughout the day for several days.
7. Keep your tongue away from the incision sites inside your mouth.
8. Avoid all strenuous activity until healing is complete.
9. Sutures usually dissolve on their own within 7 to 10 days.
10. All healing takes time and cannot be rushed. It may be several weeks before all swelling is gone and you see the final results.
Dr. Jason D. Bloom is an award winning, Ivy-League trained facial plastic & reconstructive surgeon. Dr. Bloom has worked at some of the most elite and renowned institutions in the country. His extensive experience and reputable training provide the foundation for his excellent technical skills and surgical aesthetic. He is dedicated to the treatment of patients with both cosmetic concerns and reconstructive problems of the head and neck.
Some people are born with “Chipmunk Cheeks” that give an appearance of excessive fullness. This fat can easily be removed to sculpt the face & enhance your appearance.
Men and women and young people of various ages and stages come to Dr. Bloom for his cheek reduction (buccal fat excision) surgery. There are many options today and Dr. Bloom can discuss them with you to assure you make the right decision.
Most patients complain of discomfort rather than severe pain. Oral medication and cool compresses easily manage this.
Since the incision is inside the mouth, bruising is minimal and non visible. Swelling of the cheeks may take a while to resolve, but patients typically are up and about in a couple of days.
This is the same as “oral surgery” and it is critical to ensure no bacteria from foods get into the mouth and incision sites. Also, mouth soreness will dictate what you feel like eating for a few days.
No. This is a cosmetic procedure and insurance does not cover it. We offer financing that does and are happy to provide you with the information in our business office.